Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Warning: Politically incorrect, has nothing to do with living carlessly, and in the morning I'll wish I hadn't posted it

I wrote a letter to the Oregonian tonight. I don't expect them to print it.

I can only imagine the firestorm of hurt feelings and hand wringing that would commence if it was published. I would be pilloried for suggesting that for a grown woman who has already been through childbirth three times, a brief moment of genital-rubbing is not exactly a life-changing event. What I want to know is, who’s watching the kids while she’s suffering her “lifetime of hurt?”

*********************************************

A little perspective, please

My heart goes out to the 28-year-old single mother who, after paramedic Lannie Lee Haszard briefly “rubbed her genitals,” is “haunted for hours every day and night by memories of Haszard touching her” (“Ex-medic to prison for groping patients,” August 5, 2008).

Perhaps she would take comfort in the words of these women and children, describing their daily life in Sudan:

“I was taken away by the attackers, they were all in uniforms. They took dozens of other girls and made us walk for three hours. During the day we were beaten . . . at night we were raped several times. The Arabs guarded us with arms and we were not given food for three days.”

“When we tried to escape they shot more children. They raped women; I saw many cases of Janjaweed raping women and girls. They are happy when they rape.”

“There was also another rape on a young single girl, aged 17. M was raped by six men in front of her house in front of her mother. M's brother, S, was then tied up and thrown into fire.”

“The six men raped my daughter, who is 25 years old, in front of me, my wife and the young children.”

(from “Rape as a Weapon of War,” Amnesty International, 2008)

Yes, touching women’s legs, breasts or genitals in the back of an ambulance is reprehensible and deserving of punishment. But perhaps this creep’s victims could relieve their persistent suffering by looking beyond themselves and performing a simple reality check.

No comments: