Monday, August 18, 2008

In which I learn that people who use alternative transportation should listen to the weather report

Yes, I heard them chatting on the evening news last night about the upcoming rain. I saw the little cartoon clouds and raindrops. But did this register with me? No, it did not.

Not until this morning, when the alarm went off and I heard the unfamiliar pitter-patter of rain outside my bedroom window. "Uh oh," I thought. "I'm not rain-ready."

I considered my choices.
Most attractive: Stay in bed. Problem: Can't afford it.
Next: Take a change of clothes and just plan to get wet. Problem: Bleh.
Next: Walk 3 blocks to Hawthorne and take the 14 to within a block of work. Problem: None. We have a winner.
So into the shower, where I am jolted into wakefulness by the violence of the first, totally unexpected crack of thunder, followed by 2 more less dramatic but equally alarming booms.
Next: Call colleague, ask if he would consider driving in to work and picking me up on the way. Problem: I don't have a problem asking for favors when I need them. This is a good plan.
As it turned out, for unrelated reasons I ended up not ready to leave the house until the rain had subsided into a barely perceptible mist, and at the last minute a ride serendipitously came my way.

On the way back home it was dry enough, but then I had to consider my options for getting up to the Hill. It wasn't raining, though it looked like it might at any time. But I know from experience that taking the bus home at night tends to suck -- one night I left work at 11:45 pm and didn't get home until 1:30 am. I figured if I had my bike, I could still take the bus if I absolutely had to, and if I didn't have to I could just ride home.

By the time I got packed up it was too late to ride all the way (this is common for me, but I think having 2 jobs allows me a little slack here), so I rode to the tram. After I was chastised by the driver for riding all the way up to the tram door, I entered the car and found myself next to my tram buddy with his shiny new Trek and platform pedals. I noted that he had not yet converted to clipless pedals although last week I recommended them in the strongest possible terms, and then we got into a discussion of waterproof bags. He said he has a friend who owns a totally boss waterproof messenger bag with a sternum strap to hold it in place and enough room for a half-case of beer plus two six-packs. He said the strap and buckle are like an old-school seat belt. The bag is supposed to be made by a UK company called Centre, and available at the Seven Corners bike shop. A quick google didn't reveal any such thing, but I'll dig a little deeper. I might as well start getting ready now. Bleh.

2 comments:

p8ntballbiker said...

the bag he is referring to is made by CHROME and a very sweet! well worth the $$! great blog btw, very thought provoking and entertaining. I find myself "tuning in" to see what will happen next!

Teddy said...

Yes! Definitely the bag he was talking about -- has the stylized lion and everything. Thanks! They seem to be the Abrams of the messenger bag world; I'll have to go check them out.
And thanks for the kind words. . . Come on around any time!