Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Oregonians 1, insurers 0

When I called Progressive to cancel my auto policy (woo hoo!!!), they told me Oregon is one of the few states where, if I do buy another car in the future, I won't be penalized for having been without insurance in the interim. In other states, if you don't want to get hit with outrageous premiums later on, you have to buy a "non owner" policy that not only covers you when you drive cars you don't own, but apparently also testifies to your worth as a person. I don't know the history of this rule, but I assume it's rooted in Oregon's green-leaning, far-sighted policy of encouraging us to get the **** out of our cars. Yay us!

2 comments:

KristenT said...

Hey Teddy, ask your insurance agent if you car policy covers you when you ride your bike.

You may not want to cancel it if it does; having insurance for riding is not a bad thing!

Or, ask if they have a bike riding policy; they've got a pet policy now, I've seen the commercials.

Teddy said...

Kristen, I already cancelled that policy and got my $2 refund (!). I looked briefly online and didn't see any policies specifically for riding, but it looks like I could get some coverage under a renter's policy, which I really should have anyway, so thanks for the kick in the butt on that. (You'd think I'd have learned my lesson after the "Welcome to Portland, say goodbye to your fully loaded Yakima racks" greeting I got when I first moved here . . .)