Sunday, August 10, 2008

I love to shop naked

Okay, that was a tease; I admit it. I don't really shop naked. But I could if I wanted to.

I don't know why it took me such a long time to have groceries delivered from New Seasons. It's true that once I've used up my three free deliveries it will cost $10 per. And that while New Seasons doesn't out-spendy Whole Paycheck, it's no bargain store. However . . .

They have always had the best produce in town. Sometimes their sales are pretty good. And they carry stuff other stores don't have.

And I realized that although I used to love shopping for food, I don't anymore; it's become something I dread. But now that I've started cooking again, groceries are a must. So although it took me several days -- I'm so out of practice -- I made a menu for the week, extrapolated from it a reasonable shopping list, and got online and ordered. I scheduled my two-hour delivery window and then asked them to call me when my order was on its way so I could leave work and meet the delivery guy. That worked out perfectly; I rode up right behind him. Then he carried all my stuff up to the front door, gave me my receipt, and took off. It was awesome. I was even spared the awkwardness of the tipping ceremony, because they don't allow it.

It's been another great discovery. It isn't just that it is absolutely worth $10 to have someone shop, pack and deliver my stuff; it's also that even though on some items I could get a better price elsewhere, the reality is that I spend much, much less by not popping into Fred's every single day. And not getting take-out every single day. And I'm eating better, which has led to appreciating better food, which has led to cooking even when I'm short on time, because meals from home are healthier and taste better.

And on that topic: I am embarrassed but defiant when I say we used to eat at Taco Bell four or five times a week, easily. It's cheap, it's quick, and even a vegan can fill up there. But since I sold the car: Not once. It's too far away now (the nearest is the one by Lloyd Center) to be convenient, and it certainly isn't worth a special trip. And now that I've been away from it for a couple of weeks, the thought of that "food" just makes me think "yuck." This alone has almost been worth getting rid of the car.

No comments: